General     |    Applicants      |     Service Providers     |     FAQs     |     Contact


Frequently Asked Questions from Applicants

What can CVC pay?
Please click here.

Do I have to pay CVC back?
Not unless you receive money from another payment source for the same losses that CVC has paid. For example, if you receive a settlement from a civil lawsuit, you may be required to reimburse CVC.

The crime occurred a long time ago, can I still apply?
Yes. The Board may need to waive some of the eligibility requirements, but you are encouraged to apply. 

If CVC pays, can the perpetrator still be held accountable for the expenses?
If there is a criminal case, CVC will ask the Judge to order the perpetrator to pay CVC back (restitution). You may also seek restitution for anything CVC does not pay. But you cannot seek restitution for the same expenses that CVC has paid.

You may also pursue a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator. But again, if the defendant pays you for any expenses CVC paid, you will need to reimburse CVC.

How long does it take for the Board to make a decision?
The Board meets once a month. Once we have a complete application and have verified your losses, the Board will review your request. There are many factors that can delay processing your claim. Most decisions are made within 30-60 days.

All approved payments are mailed ten days from the Board date.

How will I know what the Board decides?
If the Board approved your claim, you will receive an email or letter indicating that it was approved and what payments have been made on your behalf. If your request was denied, you can still expect an email or letter notification. Notification is mailed no more than 10 days after the Board meeting.

I received a letter saying that CVC paid my doctor, but I’m still getting a bill from them. What do I do?
CVC pays a portion of verified, crime related medical bills up to $30,000. We ask that providers accept our payment as payment in full, but we cannot guarantee that they will. It is possible you will be billed for the remaining balance.

If you call the medical provider, they may be willing to provide a discount or willing to accept a monthly payment.

Why does my medical insurance have to be billed?
CVC is the “payer of last resort.” This means that all forms of insurance, such as private insurance, Worker’s Compensation, Colorado Indigent Care Program, or Medicaid/Medicare, must be billed first.

Is CVC like medical insurance?
No. CVC is only available to eligible crime victims for certain crime related losses. We do not have contracts with service providers.

Can I go to any doctor/dentist I choose?
Yes. As CVC does not contract with any providers, you can choose your own provider.

I’m a victim of domestic violence and the defendant paid all my bills. Can I get loss of support?
Yes, CVC may be able to assist with household expenses on a short-term basis for victims who were living with and dependent on the defendant’s income..

Damage was done inside my home. Does CVC pay for repairs?
CVC only covers damages to exterior doors, locks or windows.

I didn’t go see a doctor after my emergency room visit. Can I use the ER doctor’s notes for my lost wages?
Yes, if the doctor’s exit notes indicated that you needed time off of work. Otherwise, you may request a note from the emergency room doctor.

I have the cashier receipt from a pharmacy for prescriptions my doctor ordered for my injuries. Can I send that in?
Yes, but please also send the prescription information sheet indicating the type of medication prescribed. Both are needed to process your request.

Frequently Asked Questions from Mental Health Providers

What other services does CVC help cover?

  • Medical/Dental bills
  • Medically necessary devices (eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids, prosthesis)
  • Funeral/Burial expenses
  • Replacement of exterior doors, locks, windows
  • Work loss due to physical injuries
  • Loss of income due to a victim’s death
I have a client that I believe qualifies for CVC assistance, where can we find an application?
You can find an application here.

How do I get on your referral list?
We do not have a traditional “referral list.” Administratively, we have a database of therapists that allows us to log, sort and organize over 300 providers. When a victim requests assistance in locating a CVC friendly therapist, we can provide therapist names based on specialty, crime or location.

Where do I get the necessary paperwork to be able to work with a victim of crime in the 17th Judicial District?
The forms are available on this website. Please visit the mental health service provider page here. You may also email staff for assistance at vcomp@da17.state.co.us or call 303-835-5690.

How do I know if funds have been approved for my client?
Victims will receive an email or letter indicating that they have been approved for three assessment sessions. If they have been approved for additional sessions, both you and your client will receive an email or letter from our office indicating the new approval. Please carefully review the letter, as it indicates what specifically has been approved.

Why hasn’t my client been approved for assessments yet?
There could be several reasons: We could be waiting for a completed application or we may have difficulty locating and receiving a completed police report from law enforcement.

How do I request more sessions?
Once the initial assessment sessions have been completed, you may submit a treatment plan. The Board will review the treatment plan and you will receive notification if additional funding has been awarded. If you have exhausted funding previously awarded with an initial Treatment plan, then you may submit an extension request. Both forms can be found in the mental health service provider section of this website.

How much money is available for my client?
For a primary victim, the Board will approve up to $6,580.00. For a secondary victim, the Board will approve up to $5,040.00. All funds are approved in stages.

What rate does CVC pay?
$140 per individual session
$70 per group/family session

When are invoices and treatment plans due?
All invoices and treatment plans are due on the 1st day of each month. A claim number is required to be on each document you send in. Claim numbers will be on all CVC generated approval letters.

When will I get paid?
CVC processes payments and issues checks once a month. Checks are usually received at the end of the month. You must submit your invoices and treatment plans by the 1st of the month, to be paid the same month.

Why wasn’t I paid?
There could be several reasons...

  • Has the victim been approved for assessments or therapy? If they have, they will receive a letter stating so.
  • The therapist cannot be compensated until they submit a copy of their license and returned the Mental Health Questionnaire.
  • Is there a current, unused encumbrance available? If not, you may need to submit a treatment plan or extension request.
  • Did you submit the bill/invoice by the 1st of the month?

Where do I send bills/invoices, treatment plans/extensions?

  • Therapists may submit electronically, directly to the web-based victim portal (contact CVC program for access); OR
  • Therapist may submit electronically by email to vcomp@da17.state.co.us; OR
  • Therapists may fax to 303-835-4165; OR
  • Therapists may mail to:
    Crime Victim Compensation
    1000 Judicial Center Drive, Suite 100
    Brighton, CO 80601

Who can I call if I have questions?
Please send mental health inquiries to vcomp@da17.state.co.us or call 303-835-5690.



The Crime Victim Compensation Program was created by law, Colorado Revised Statute 24-4.1-101 et seq., and is operated in accordance with
the statute and the Bylaws, Policies and Procedures of the Seventeenth Judicial District CVC Board.